If shrimp is your thing, the Manhattan Avocado Cocktail is for you! Flavored with garlic, cumin and dazzled with greens, this shrimp cocktail is one for the ages! Tasty for a party or a nice dinner, the delicious cocktail will entice your taste buds for more! Incorporating fresh Hass avocados in your diet helps to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. They're delicious, heart-healthy, and a source of naturally good fats.
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp, cooked
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea. garlic clove, mashed
- 1/2 t. cumin seeds
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 t. red Thai or jalapeño pepper
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, sliced
- 2 c. mesclun greens slightly packed
- 1/2 c. tomato, seeded and diced (for garnish)
- For shrimp: in a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a microwave-proof cup, microwave the oil, garlic, and cumin seeds on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until hot. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove the garlic with a fork and whisk in the lime juice and salt. In a medium bowl, toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and the jalapeño pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate. Place the avocado slices in a 9” glass pie plate. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dressing (whisking first with fork to blend).
- Shake dish to coat avocado. Press plastic wrap lightly over surface of avocado and seal around edge of plate. Refrigerate up to 4 hours. Reserve remaining dressing.
- To serve: Toss greens with 1 tablespoon of remaining dressing.Divide greens among 4 martini glasses, mounding in center. Arrange shrimp and top with tomato. Decoratively stand avocado slices in glass, using the greens and shrimp to rest against.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!