- 6 c. water
- 1 lb. tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. sausage, sliced
- 2 ea. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 ea. onions, sliced into thin strips
- 1 ea. Avocados From Mexico, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 6 ea. romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 T. corn oil
- 2 ea. chipotle peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare chicken. In a pot, add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add in the chicken breasts, and allow to cook for approximately 20 minutes or until thoroughly done. Remove from the heat, drain and shred.
- In a blender, blend the tomatoes into a puree.
- Next, cook the sausage in oil on medium heat for approximately 10-15 minutes or until brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add the onions to the pan with the sausage. When the onions are transparent, add the mashed tomatoes and one chipotle pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the shredded chicken and chicken broth and simmer 10 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place 1 lettuce leaf on a plate and top with tinga. Garnish with chipotle peppers and avocado slices.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!