How to Make Cornbread Toast (and 4 Avocado Spreads to Top It Off)
What could go better with chilly weather than cornbread? The cooler months ahead are the perfect time to try a seasonal take on avocado toast, throwing in gorgeous, golden brown, toasted cornbread instead of traditional toast. Accompanied by delicious avocado spreads that pair nicely with cornbread fresh out of the oven, this recipe will be sure to keep you warm all through the winter.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. yellow cornmeal or polenta
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch baking dish. Place in the oven to heat up.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk well.
- Add butter, milk, and eggs to the center of the mixing bowl. Stir until just combined, as you want there to be some lumps remaining in the mixture.
- Remove your pan or dish from the oven, taking care, as the dish will be very hot. Pour cornmeal mixture into the hot dish and return to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is a beautiful golden brown. When done, a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the bread.
- For extra toasty-ness: Preheat oven on broil. Place fully baked cornbread on the top rack for 1 to 2 minutes or until the top has browned.
- Top each serving of cornbread with one of the avocado spreads below.
Toasted Cornbread Toppings
This cornbread is good with almost anything. Here are some of our favorite toppings:
Got leftovers? Be sure you know how to keep unused avocado fresh so you’ll have more for avocado cornbread toast tomorrow and the next day!
Click here for more inspirational avocado recipes.
Want even more avocado info? Provide your email address to download a free recipe e-book.