Avocado French Fries
Crisp yet creamy, salty but sweet — when french fries found avocados, it was a match made and heaven.
For the perfect avocado french fries, you need firm, ripe Avocados From Mexico. As this helpful guide shows, one of the best ways to determine ripeness is holding an avocado in the palm of your hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. It’s best to find fruit that has the smallest give to it — this will ensure the avocado is ripe enough to eat but sturdy enough to handle the breading process. If you are buying your fruit a few days before you plan on using it, prevent it from ripening too quickly by storing it in the refrigerator.
Once you’ve picked the cream of the crop, you’re ready to fry this delicious fruit to perfection.
Yields: 2–3 servings of fries
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
2 firm, ripe, medium-size (6–8 oz.) Avocados From Mexico, peeled, halved, and quartered
1/2 t. and 1 T. chile lime salt, divided
3 T. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. panko breadcrumbs
Cooking oil (spray is best, or liquid oil, applied with brush)
- Cut avocados into wedges.
- Preheat broiler to 500°F. Place baking sheet in the oven to heat it up.
- Gather 3 bowls large enough to fit a wedge of avocado in the bottom. Place the flour in one bowl and season it with 1/2 teaspoon of chile lime salt, stirring to mix it in. Beat egg well in the second bowl. Toss panko with remaining chile lime salt in the third bowl.
- Drop one wedge into the flour bowl and gently shake the bowl to coat it in flour. Shake off the excess and drop the wedge into the egg bowl. Use a fork to help coat it in egg, then lift it out slowly. Place it in the breadcrumbs, and shake the bowl for a few seconds until it’s coated. Set it on a plate and continue with the remaining wedges.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, spray it with oil, then top with wedges, spread 1–2 inches apart. Spray the avocados with cooking oil. Set the pan under the broiler for 5 minutes, until the top of the wedges are lightly brown and crisp. Then, flip the wedges and cook for another 2 minutes. Enjoy immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Took the edginess out both up here and in the SoMe. Thank you.
By Avocados From Mexico June 25, 2018
Want even more avocado info?
Provide your email address to download a free recipe e-book.