These vegetarian garden nachos are made with low-sodium canned beans and loaded with fresh veggies from the garden. Choose your own favorite vegetable toppings – radishes, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and of course, avocados! Melted cheese and low-fat sour cream top off this four-star appetizer. It’s the perfect football food.
- 1 ea. 15-ounce can low-sodium pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. red onion, diced
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1 t. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. baked corn tortilla chips
- 1 c. reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, divided in half
- 4 ea. radishes, sliced
- 2 ea. medium Avocados From Mexico, cubed
- 2 ea. vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c. nonfat sour cream (or nonfat Greek yogurt)
- 1 ea. lime, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender. Stir in chili powder and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the beans and broth and cook until the beans are tender and heated through.
- Mash the beans coarsely with a fork or wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large baking sheet, place half of the tortilla chips and cover evenly with 1/2 of cooked bean mixture and 1/2 of cheese.
- Top with remaining chips, beans, and cheese. Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with radishes, avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro. Top with sour cream and lime slices. Serve immediately.