Recipe by Pati Jinich
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 6 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pt. cherry tomatoes
- 1 ea. Serrano or jalapeño chile
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 t. kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ea. unsalted white corn tortillas
- 1/2 c. chopped white onion
- 1-1/2 c. unsalted home-cooked cannellini beans with their broth
- 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro, plus 2 T. for garnish
- 1/4 t. brown sugar
- 1 ea. ripe Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, meat scooped out and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the red onion and the lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the cherry tomatoes and chile on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Roast, stirring once halfway through, for 20 to 25 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and beginning to burst.
- Spread the tortillas on a baking sheet and place them in the oven, as well. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once in between, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the cannellini beans and some of their broth. Mash the beans with a masher, stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until they have warmed and thickened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Remove the baked tortillas from the oven and set aside.
- When the roasted cherry tomatoes are ready, remove the chile from the and set aside to cool. Transfer the tomatoes, along with their juices, to a bowl and pour in the red onion along with the lime juice it has been pickling in. Add the cilantro and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- When cool enough to handle, mince the roasted chile and incorporate it into the cherry tomato mixture to complete the salsa.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread about 2 heaping tablespoons of the mashed beans on each tostada, spoon on a couple tablespoons of the salsa, and top with a couple slices of avocado. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.