Forget your normal crab cake topping and try this avocado Serrano aioli! Made with avocado, chile, garlic, mayonnaise and lime juice, your mouth will water for this tasty topping! Spoon onto crab cake and pair with a fresh salad for a delicious lunch or dinner! Plus, this recipe features healthy avocados, which taste great and contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, including 11% of the Daily Value (DV) for dietary fiber, 10% of the DV for folate, 6% of the DV for vitamin E, 6% of the DV for potassium, 4% of the DV for vitamin C and 2% of the DV for iron per 50 g serving.
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, and peeled, divided
- 2 ea. Serrano peppers or jalapeños, minced, divided (seeding optional)
- 1 ea. garlic clove, sliced
- 1/2 c. + 1 T. mayonnaise, divided
- 4 T. fresh squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1 ea. egg lightly beaten
- 2 T. white onion, finely chopped
- 1 t. dijon mustard
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat, cartilage and shell pieces removed
- 2 T. breadcrumbs
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. ground black pepper
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- To prepare Avocado Serrano Aioli: In jar of a blender, add 1 avocado, 1 chile, garlic,1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Puree until smooth.
- Season to taste; cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours in advance.
- To prepare Crab Cakes: In bowl, mix together egg, onion, mustard, remaining mayonnaise, lime juice, and chile.
- Add crabmeat, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Combine well.
- Shape about 3 tablespoons of crab mixture into a 3/4” thick cake.
- Repeat with remaining crab mixture.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- In large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once butter begins to sizzle, add crab cakes in batches; cook until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- To serve, spoon avocado aioli on top or on the side. Garnish with avocado slices.
Forget your normal crab cake topping and try this avocado Serrano aioli! Made with avocado, chile, garlic, mayonnaise and lime juice, your mouth will water for this tasty topping! Spoon onto crab cake and pair with a fresh salad for a delicious lunch or dinner! Try pairing with this gazpacho soup recipe.
What to serve with crab cakes?
Avocado soups, appetizers, and desserts all pair well with crab cakes. What you choose really depends on your preferences. However, some of our favorite pairings are cold mexican soup (gazpacho), spicy guacamole, and avocado ice cream.
What sauce goes with crab cakes?
Our favorite sauce to top crab cakes with is our avocado Serrano aioli. However, we’d also recommend topping crab cakes with your favorite guacamole or avocado dip.
How to reheat crab cakes?
Start by preheating your oven to 325° F. Next, place a layer of aluminum foil down on a baking tray and then space your crab cakes evenly across the sheet. Once the oven is preheated, set the tray on the middle rack for 10-15 minutes.