Scratch Kitchen: Margherita Pizza with Avocado
No matter how you slice it, Margherita pizza is a classic staple for pizza-makers everywhere. Our original recipe has all the great things you come to expect from this traditional style of pizza — paper-thin crust, garlicky tomato sauce, leaves of basil, and globs of mozzarella. But we’ve taken it a step further: We added creamy Avocados From Mexico to push it over the edge, and we are never going back.
Related: Guacamole has a soft spot for pizza too. Here are five ways these two can be paired.
Margherita Pizza with Avocado
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 oz. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 c. warm water
- 1 T. olive oil
- 15 oz. canned tomato sauce
- 6 oz. canned tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 fresh, large basil leaves
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced thin
- 1 Avocado From Mexico, sliced thin
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Margherita Pizza with Avocado:
- Prepare the sauce. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the dough. Put 3/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Be sure the water is warm but not boiling. Boiling water will kill the yeast and leave your dough flat. Add the sugar and yeast and stir until well mixed.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to bubble. Add olive oil and combine.
- Add flour and salt and mix well until ball of dough forms. Dough should be slightly tacky and soft. Add water or flour to adjust the consistency as needed.
- Assemble the pizza. Roll out a section of parchment paper that will cover your pizza stone (or flat cookie sheet). Gently but firmly, shape and stretch the dough until it’s 1/4-inch thick and the desired shape. Brush dough with olive oil.
- Spread sauce to cover the dough, leaving roughly 1inch of border around the edge.
- Arrange all toppings evenly over the sauce-covered area.
- Bake. Place pizza in the oven at 475 F. (Pro tip: Use a pizza stone for an extra-excellent crust!)
- Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly, roughly 8-10 minutes. Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Still have an appetite for more? There are so many ways to use avocado every day, and it is always worth it! Find out just how many different ways we can spin this fantastic green fruit at our recipe page.
Want even more avocado info?
Provide your email address to download a free recipe e-book.