This vegetarian dish made of sautéed zucchinis, garlic, jalapeños, avocados and scallions is a delicious and nutritious way to pack in some veggies for a taco meal on-the-go. Top with fresh queso fresco or feta cheese, depending on your preference.
- 6 ea. corn tortillas
- 1 lb. zucchini, ends removed, diced into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 ea. Avocados From Mexico, diced
- 1/4 c. sliced scallions, white and light green parts only
- 1 ea. Serrano chile, minced
- 1 ea. garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/4 c. crumbed queso fresco or feta (optional)
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 3/4 t. kosher or coarse sea salt
- Salsa of your choice (optional) to taste
- In a large to medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and chile and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and barely beginning to brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and cook until it is tender but is still lightly light crunchy, approximately 4 minutes. Once cooked, scrape onto a bowl. Mix in the avocado, toss, and taste for salt, adding more if need be.
- In a preheated skillet, or griddle, heat the corn tortillas over medium heat until completely heated through and barely beginning to toast, about 1 minute per side. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- To assemble the tacos, evenly distribute the calabacitas and avocado mix between the tortillas, then garnish with queso fresco. Place 3 tacos on a plate and serve with salsa of choice.