The avocado, garlic, milk, cream and lime juice dressing just might become your all-time favorite salad dressing and excuse to eat more salads! Leafy greens are tossed with dressing ad topped with crunchy, toasted pumpkin seeds and sweet, candied pineapple. This is a salad for all seasons.
- 1/2 t. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 t. piquín, ancho, or chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 t. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 t. sugar
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. Mexican crema, Latin-style cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream
- 1 ea. garlic clove
- 3 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ea. heads red leaf lettuce, leaves separated, washed, dried, and roughly torn
- 1/2 c. chopped candied pineapple, or other candied fruit like papaya or mango
- To make the pumpkin seeds, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the pumpkin seeds and toast, stirring often, until they begin to brown, and they start popping and jumping, a bit like popcorn, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the seeds to a small bowl, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon each of the ground chile, salt and sugar, toss well and set aside.
- To make the dressing, combine the avocado, milk, cream, garlic, lime juice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place the lettuce in a generous-sized serving bowl and toss with the dressing until the leaves are lightly coated. Sprinkle with the pineapple and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.