Dazzle your family with this layered taco salad as a fun and nutritious choice for home-gating. Create a DIY taco salad bar to increase the fun factor and allow for customization of your favorite ingredients. Get children involved and include some of their favorite fruits and vegetables to reinforce nutritious eating habits.
- 2 ea. ripe Avocados From Mexico, diced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey, cooked
- 1 T. taco seasoning packet, 40% reduced sodium (or combine paprika, chipotle, cumin, garlic powder)
- 6 c. romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 c. shredded American cheese
- 1/2 c. non-fat sour cream
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c. red onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1-15 oz. can low sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1-12 oz. can corn, drained
- 2 c. corn tortilla chips, gently crushed (added to salad)
- 1/2 c. lite thousand island dressing
- Prepare cooked taco meat according to package directions.
- Prior to serving, to create a colorful display, layer your salad ingredients.
- Start with salad greens on the bottom and place cooked meat in the center. Layer ingredients one by one next to each other.
- When you’re ready to serve, blend ingredients together with salad dressing and tortilla chips.