Made with soy crumbles and beans, this modern twist on chili topped with fresh avocados is a heartwarming choice to serve on chilly fall evenings or football tailgating.
- 1 ea. 15.5-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ea. 12-oz. package crumbled soy "meat"
- 2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1-1/2 c. frozen lima beans
- 1 ea. 24-oz. jar tomato salsa, medium spice level
- 1/4 c. chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 t. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 ea. medium Avocado From Mexico, halved, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 c. red onion, chopped, for garnish
- In 4-quart slow cooker, combine beans, soy meat, corn, lima beans, salsa, chili powder, hot sauce, and black pepper. Cook chili on low 4 to 6 hours. Add salt to taste.
- OR: combine chili ingredients in large saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until chili is thick and flavorful, 1 to 1–1/2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon chili into 6 deep soup bowls. Garnish each serving with diced avocado and chopped onion.