A flavorful way to warm up this winter is with beef and avocado chili! Seasoned to delight with cumin, garlic, chili powder and more, this chili packs protein and nutrients with beans, cheese, ground beef and tomatoes. Make it on Sunday and enjoy it all week with corn chips, whole grain crackers or a fresh side salad.
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 c. red onion, chopped, divided
- 1/4 c. jalapeños, diced
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 ea. 14- or 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 c. water, divided
- 3 T. chili powder, or to taste
- 2 T. ground cumin
- 1 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 ea. 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (optional) to taste
- 1 ea. Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Set aside 1/4 cup onion; add remaining onion and jalapeños to saucepan; cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add beef, breaking into large chunks; cook and stir until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup water; heat to boiling, reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup water with flour; add to chili along with kidney beans and salt.
- Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes; stir in cilantro, if desired.
- To serve, ladle chili into bowls; sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup chopped onion and cheese, if desired.
- Top with sliced avocados.