- 1-1/2 lb. hanger steak
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 3/4 t. ground pepper
- 2 T. butter
- 2 ea. cloves garlic, smashed
- 8 ea. slices crusty, rustic bread
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, & skin removed
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 ea. scallions, sliced
- 1/3 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 T. TABASCO® Hot Sauce
- 1/2 t. lime zest
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Oil the grill racks or pan with olive oil. Season steak all over with salt and pepper. Cook steak, turning several times, until outside is well-charred and interior is medium-rare, about 8 to 10 minutes total. When done, place on cutting board and tent with foil until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and smashed garlic cloves. Microwave in 10-second increments until melted.
- Remove garlic cloves from butter and discard. Using a pastry brush, smear garlicky butter over bread slices. Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes per side until a bit charred and toasty. Hold on a cooling rack. (If using a grill pan, wipe out pan from steak oils/juices first).
- In a bowl, mash avocados with a fork until chunky-smooth. Add lime juice, scallions, and cilantro. Season with salt if desired.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, Tabasco, and lime zest.
- Slice steak into 1/2”-thick slices.
- Assemble each sandwich: On one slice of toast, smear avocado mixture, top with a generous pile of sliced steak, a drizzle of spicy crema, and top with another piece of toast. Slice in half and serve.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!