- 2/3 c. dried cherries
- 1/2 c. very hot water
- 1/2 c. Avocado From Mexico, diced
- 4 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more to butter the pan
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 ea. egg, large
- 1 c. all-purpose flour, plus extra to flour the pan
- 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- Adjust oven rack to middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Place the dried cherries in a small heatproof bowl or container and cover with the hot water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, place diced avocado and butter. Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and egg and continue beating until it is well incorporated and homogenous, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Taking turns, alternate adding the flour mixture with the milk, until well mixed. Lastly, add the cherries along with their soaking water and continue beating until thoroughly mixed. Turn the batter into the buttered and floured cake pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cool, flip the cake onto a plate, then invert it onto a platter, so it is right side up, and serve.