- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea. large onion, chopped
- 7 ea. large plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, and chopped
- 5 ea. fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and cut into shreds (chiffonade)
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 4 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ea. medium Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Sour cream, optional, for garnish, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, garlic, and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until all ingredients are very soft, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Allow soup to cool for 10 minutes. Using hand-held or countertop blender, puree soup. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide soup among 6 bowls. Garnish with diced avocado. For additional presentation and flavor, add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Warm up with this homemade tomato soup! Made flavorful with basil, oregano, onion, and garlic, this creamy soup will hit the spot when topped with avocado and a dollop of sour cream!
How do you thicken soup?
There are several techniques for thickening soups. These options include thickening the soup by making a roux with flour, making a slurry with cornstarch, adding cream, or adding pureed mixture of the soup’s ingredients to the soup.
What can I serve with soup?
Soups are versatile dishes that can be prepared as a starter or as the main course with other sides. Some of our favorites include artisan breads with a tasty avocado spread or healthy salad with avocado.
What can I eat with tomato basil soup?
Like other soups, tomato basil soup pairs well with flavorful, artisan breads or healthy salads. Another classic pairing is tomato soup and grilled cheese. For next level flavor, try our hatch green chile and turkey grilled cheese recipe or our recipe for grilled Carolina pimento cheese with avocado and bacon sandwiches.
How long is soup good for?
If properly refrigerated and stored, your soup should be good for 3 to 4 days.
How do you store soup?
After serving your soup, ladle it into a smaller container, seal the container and store in your refrigerator. Alternately, you are looking to store your soup immediately after preparing it, we recommend carefully ladling the hot soup into smaller containers (individual serving containers work great!) and allowing the soup to cool a bit before sealing and storing in your refrigerator.
How do you reheat frozen soup?
The day before you’re ready to eat the soup, take it out of the freezer and place it in your refrigerator. Once the soup has thawed, place it in a microwave safe container and reheat in the microwave or reheat on your stovetop.