Warm up with this homemade tomato soup! Made flavorful with basil, oregano, onion, and garlic, this creamy soup will hit the spot when topped with avocado and a dollop of sour cream! Plus, the fresh avocado featured in this recipe is a heart-healthy fruit that provides naturally good fats, is low in saturated fat, is cholesterol-free and sodium-free.
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea. large onion, chopped
- 7 ea. large plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, and chopped
- 5 ea. fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and cut into shreds (chiffonade)
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 4 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ea. medium Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Sour cream, optional, for garnish, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, garlic, and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until all ingredients are very soft, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Allow soup to cool for 10 minutes. Using hand-held or countertop blender, puree soup. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide soup among 6 bowls. Garnish with diced avocado. For additional presentation and flavor, add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.