Made with fresh, ground turkey, fajita seasonings, red & green bell peppers, onion and held together with homemade bread crumbs, these turkey burgers are juicy and delicious. Served with an avocado & tomatillo salsa, these burgers are bursting with flavor. Serve at barbecues or anytime you fire up the grill.
- 4 ea. whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, chopped
- 2 ea. slices white bread, 1-ounce
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 ea. egg white
- 1/2 ea. onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. tomatillo salsa
- 2 t. fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 t. tomato paste
- 1/4 t. salt, divided
- 1 t. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Non-stick cooking spray to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatillo salsa, chopped avocado and cilantro; set aside.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until crumbs measure 1 cup.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Let aside and let cool.
- Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, tomato paste, turkey and egg white in a large bowl.
- Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Heat pan over medium heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray.
- Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun. Top each serving with 1-1/2 tablespoons salsa mixture; top with remaining halves of buns.
- Note: Find this and other great recipes at Cooking Light. Recipe copyright Cooking Light.