The soft texture of beets, avocados and cheese is paired with the savory crunch of walnuts. A zesty vinaigrette dressing makes this salad burst with flavor.
- 1 lb. beets
- 1 ea. large Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1"-pieces
- 1/4 c. Mexican crema, Latin-style cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ea. pinch kosher salt
- 1 c. freshly squeezed orange juice, from zested orange
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. honey
- 1 ea. zest of medium orange
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. crumbled queso fresco, farmer's cheese, goat cheese, or mild feta
- 1 T. chopped fresh chives
- Cut off greens and most of the stems from the beets, leaving about 1-inch. Don’t scrub or peel the beets. Rinse them off, place them in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium low to keep at a gentle simmer and cook until tender, for about 30 minutes. Drain. Once cool enough to handle, peel the beets and cut into bite-sized pieces of about 1-inch.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Mexican crema with the salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, pour the orange juice along with the apple cider vinegar, the honey and orange zest. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Liquid should have reduced to about 1/3 of a cup. Pour into the crema mixture and combine.
- Divide the beets and avocado pieces in salad plates. Drizzle orange cream dressing all over the top. Garnish with the walnuts, queso fresco and chives.