- Pickled Red Cabbage:
- 2 c. water
- 1-1/2 ea. head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 ea. bay leaf
- 1 t. cumin seeds
- Pinch salt
- 4 ea. Avocados From Mexico
- 1 c. chicharrones, cooked and shredded
- 1 ea. limes, juiced
- 1 ea. tomato, small dice
- 1 ea. stalk of green onion, finely chopped
- 1 ea. jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 ea. red onion, small dice
- 1/2 c. cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 c. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. salt
- Pickled Red Cabbage: In a medium saucepan on medium to high heat, combine the water, red wine vinegar, sugar, cumin seeds, bay leaf and salt to taste; bring to a bowl for 2 minutes. / Add cabbage to saucepan and let boil for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 1 minute. / Pour cabbage mixture into a jar or container with lid, seal tightly and let sit until cool to room temperature. For better flavor, set in refrigerator after cool.
- Guacamole: In a medium bowl, mash the avocados to desired consistency. / Fold in the tomatoes, onions, green onions, jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt until well combined. / Top with cooled pickled red cabbage, chicharones and sprinkle cotija cheese on top and serve.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!