- 2 ea. whole grain bread slices
- 1/2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. harissa
- Salt to taste
- Taste harissa, because spiciness can vary from brand to brand. Choose the amount desired based on heat level preference, which will probably vary between 1 and 3 tablespoons. Spread equally on one side of each bread slice. Add avocado slices, cheese and top with the other slice of bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, place the sandwich in the skillet and top with a lid for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is starting to melt and the bottom is getting brown and crispy. Sprinkle the top with salt to taste, then remove from the skillet.
- Add the other tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Once melted, place the sandwich with the uncooked side down on the skillet and cover with the lid. Let cook for 2-3 minutes and lower the heat. Cook until the bottom is brown and crispy and the cheese has melted. Sprinkle the top with salt to taste, remove from heat and serve.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!