- 8 ea. slices rye bread
- 8 ea. thick slices Swiss cheese
- 1 lb. thick-sliced roast beef
- 2 c. caramelized onions
- 1 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved
- 2/3 c. prepared horseradish
- 4 T. melted butter
- 1 t. white wine vinegar
- 1/8 t. kosher salt
- Prepare sauce: in a medium bowl, mash the avocado into a chunky paste. Stir in horseradish, white wine vinegar and salt and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Warm a griddle over medium heat.
- As griddle heats, assemble the sandwiches. Evenly distribute the avocado horseradish on each slice of bread. On 4 of the slices of bread, add 1/4 of the roast beef, 1/2 cup caramelized onions and 2 slices Swiss cheese. Top with another piece of rye.
- In a bowl, heat butter in microwave until melted, approximately 20-30 seconds. Brush outsides of each sandwich with melted butter and place on hot griddle. Grill and press down for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown, then flip and repeat until both sides are well toasted and cheese is melted. Cook 2 sandwiches at a time if griddle is large enough, then repeat.
- Slice sandwiches in half and serve with any remaining avocado horseradish sauce for dipping.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!