Recipe by Pati Jinich
Up your sandwich game by marinating your steak in garlic, rosemary, soy sauce, mustard and olive oil! Then add refried beans and cheese to bread and toast, top with guacamole and enjoy a sandwich for the record books! Making 6 servings, you can eat it more than once or share with a friend or family member! Beyond being delicious, the healthy avocado featured in this recipe is sodium and cholesterol free, and contributes nearly 20 nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and phytonutrients.
- 1-1/2 lb. flank steak
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. dijon mustard
- 3 ea. garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 t. kosher salt
- 6 ea. teleras, bolillos, or baguettes sliced into 5-inch pieces
- 8 oz. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, mild cheddar, or mozzarella
- 1 c. guacamole
- 1 c. refried beans
- Marinate the flank steak with the olive oil, soy sauce, mustard, garlic, rosemary and black pepper. You may marinate it anywhere from 1/2 hour to a day ahead in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to cook the meat, remove it from the refrigerator and sprinkle with the salt. Preheat a grill pan or the grill on medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the meat and let it cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or cooked to desired doneness. Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes, slightly covered. Thinly slice across the grain.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.Slice each piece of bread in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet. Spread about 3 tablespoons of refried beans on the bottom half of each piece. Cover with about 3 to 4 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven and let the bread crisp and the cheese melt, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven.Top the sandwiches with a generous amount of the thinly sliced meat and 3 to 4 tablespoons of guacamole. Place the top slices of bread on top.