Give your guac a little tang with pickled red onions! Paired with shredded pork, sweet mango and queso fresco, this creamy guacamole covers all the flavor bases!
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, mashed
- 1/2 c. Mango, diced
- 1/2 c. Pickled onion
- 1/2 c. Pork, cooked, shredded
- 1/2 c. Queso fresco
- 1 t. Lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, to garnish
- 1 lb. Pork loin
- 1 ea. Mango, peeled, diced
- 1 ea. Green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 ea. Yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 ea. Habanero pepper, minced
- 2 T. Honey
- 2 T. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 ea. Garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 t. Chili powder
- 1/4 t. Paprika
- 1/8 t. Orange peel, dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pickled onion
- 1 ea. Red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 c. Distilled white vinegar
- 2 T. Lime juice
- 1 t. Salt
- 1 t. Sugar
- 1 ea. Mason jar
- For the pickled onion: Note, onion preparation must occur 24 hours before recipe. In a strainer, place the onions. Pour hot water over the onions so that they are all washed. Place onions in mason jar and add vinegar, lime juice, sugar and salt. Stir well. Place lid tightly on jar and store in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- For the pork: In a large crockpot, add pork loin, mango, bell pepper, yellow onion, habanero pepper, honey, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, paprika, and orange peel. Cook on low heat for approximately 8 hours or until the pork can easily pull apart and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, slice avocados into cubes and stir in lime juice. Salt to taste.
- Add mango, pickled onion, cooked pork and queso fresco to the guacamole mixture and gently stir until well combined.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!