- 6 ea. slices of bacon
- 1/4 c. bacon drippings, reserved from cooked bacon
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 2/3 c. red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ea. jalapeño, seeded & cut into matchsticks
- 3 T. grapefruit juice
- 1 T. lime juice
- 2 T. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 4 c. mixed salad greens
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, pitted, peeled, & diced
- 1 ea. large grapefruit, segmented
- 1 c. jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 3 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 4 ea. 10-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until crisp; drain and let cool. Roughly chop into small pieces.
- Pour out bacon dripping from skillet and measure 1/4 cup. If needed, add vegetable oil.
- Return dripping to skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions and jalapeños; cook until tender.
- Add grapefruit juice, lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir and incorporate browned bacon bits. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, avocados, grapefruit segments, jicama, and queso fresco. Pour warm bacon dressing over salad and toss gently. Top with bacon pieces.
- Place the baked tortillas on to 4 individual serving dishes. Divide salad and serve on top of tortillas.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!