Sweet and satisfying this salad made with pears, oranges and avocados is a fresh add-on to any meal! Drizzled with a dressing made from blood orange juice, oregano and chipotle powder, it will have your taste buds watering! Beyond being delicious, the healthy avocado featured in this recipe is sodium and cholesterol free, and contributes nearly 20 nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and phytonutrients.
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. fresh blood orange juice
- 1 T. cilantro, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/4 t. Mexican oregano
- 1 pinch chipotle powder
- 1 ea. blood orange, segmented
- 1 ea. Anjou pear, peeled, cored, & sliced into 8 wedges
- 1 ea. Avocado From Mexico, pitted, peeled, & sliced into 8 wedges
- 1/2 ea. small red onion, thinly sliced rings
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 1/4 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, blood orange juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and chipotle powder until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss together the blood orange segments, pears, avocados, and red onions.
- Divide the spinach into 4 individual serving dishes. Top each with the blood orange and avocado mixture. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with gorgonzola crumbles.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!