Recipe by Pati Jinich
- 2 T. vegetable oil, divided
- 3 ea. slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
- 4 oz. andouille sausage, diced
- 1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 c. celery, diced
- 3/4 c. red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ea. small tomato, seeded, cored, & diced
- 1 ea. garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1/4 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot sauce
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, & diced
- 3 ea. Avocados From Mexico, pitted, peeled, & diced
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 3 ea. scallions, finely chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and sausage; cook for 4 to 5 minutes until browned.
- Incorporate the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic, and season with the paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and place mixture into a bowl.
- Place back over medium heat and heat the remaining oil.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add the avocados and, lemon juice, and jambalaya mixture. Toss gently until well combined. Garnish with scallions.