Tater tots made with avocado are a side dish to dream of! Crispy and flavorful, add these to a burger meal or as a side dish to a weeknight dinner.
- 6 c. peanut oil
- 3 ea. large Avocados From Mexico
- 3 ea. eggs, beaten
- 1 ea. small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1-1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. white onion, diced
- 1/2 c. masa corn flour
- 1/4 c. cornmeal
- 3 T. lime juice, divided
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 T. Original TABASCO® Hot Sauce
- 1 t. fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- In a large bowl, mash avocados with a fork until chunky-smooth. Fold in onion, jalapeño, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt until combined. Gently fold in cornmeal and mix to combine.
- Scoop a tablespoon of guacamole into your hands and gently roll into a “tot” shape and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all guacamole is shaped. Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and freeze tots until solid.
- When fully frozen, heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch Oven until an oil thermometer reads 350°F.
- Place masa corn flour in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, place beaten eggs. In a shallow baking dish, place panko.
- Remove guacamole tots from freezer. Roll each tot in masa corn flour and shake off excess, then dip into egg mixture, then roll thoroughly in panko bread crumbs until well-coated. Return coated tots to baking sheet. When all tots are coated, return to freezer to solidify and set coating.
- When oil comes to temperature, drop frozen tots into oil and cook approximately 4 minutes or until golden brown, working in batches so as not to overcrowd pot. Place cooked tots onto a paper-towel lined baking sheet. Let oil come back to temperature between batches.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice and tabasco hot sauce until well combined.
- Serve hot tots with spicy sour cream dipping sauce.