- 8 c. chicken broth
- 3 ea. large tomatoes
- 3 ea. wide chilies dry, hydrated in warm water without seeds
- 1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 T. garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c. queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 ea. Avocados From Mexico, sliced
- 1 T. cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips to taste
- In a large (deep) saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium-high heat and the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat and transfer to a blender.
- Add the soaked chiles to blender and blend together until a smooth puree consistency.
- Add the puree through a strainer and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and the puree on medium heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly distribute into 6 bowls and sprinkle cheese on top of each. Garnish with slices of avocado and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!