Traditional and tasty, you are sure to love this chicken taquito! Layered with refried beans and cheese and topped with an avocado crema drizzle, your mouth is sure to water with every bite of this authentic Mexican dish! Great for lunch or dinner!
- For the Chicken:
- 8 c. Water
- 1/2 lb. Chicken breasts, uncooked
- To taste, Salt and pepper
- For the Taquito:
- 2 c. Vegetable oil
- 8 ea. White corn tortillas
- 1 c. Refried beans, fat free
- 3/4 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ea. Damp paper towel
- For the Avocado Crema Drizzle:
- 2 oz. Cream cheese, melted
- 1/2 ea. Avocados From Mexico
- 1/4 c. Milk, 2%
- In a large pot, boil water and add chicken breasts. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow chicken to thoroughly cook (approximately 15 minutes).
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a large bowl. Using two forks, shred the chicken apart and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave until flexible, approximately 15 seconds.
- Evenly distribute the refried beans, chicken and cheddar cheese on the tortillas until there are no remaining ingredients.
- Tightly roll the tortillas to form into a taquito shape.
- In a large pan, warm vegetable oil for frying. Using tongs, carefully work in batches to place the taquitos face down in the oil. The oil is the right temperature if it slightly sizzles when the taquitos are submerged. Fry the taquitos approximately 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the taquitos from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes, to allow the excess oil to absorb into the paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, add cream cheese, milk and avocado. Whisk until smooth to form the avocado crema drizzle.
- Transfer the taquitos to a large plate.
- Drizzle the avocado crema drizzle over the taquitos and serve.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!