What better way to creatively feed your family than a build your own tostada bar?! Star with a layer of refried beans and avocado and then mix and match your favorite toppings to create a tasty tostada! Fresh veggies, crunchy pepper, sweet corn and any meat pair great to create a meal the whole family can enjoy! Plus, the healthy avocado featured in this recipe is a good source of fiber (11% of the DV) and is a great way to add variety to your diet.
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 ea. 16-oz. can refried beans
- 12 ea. prepared tostada shells (from 4-1/2-oz. package*)
- Various meat and vegetable toppings to serve
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss avocados with lime juice and salt; set aside. In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, warm refried beans.
- Spread each tostada shell with about 2 tablespoons refried beans, spreading beans to the edges. Spoon about 1/4 cup avocado mixture over beans.
- In small bowls, offer toppings such as: shredded barbacoa beef or pork, shredded iceberg lettuce, grated Monterey Jack cheese, prepared salsa, chopped tomato, sliced green onions, sliced radishes, olives and corn kernels.
- *If prepared tostadas are not available, arrange corn tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 450°F oven until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.