Layered with brown rice, avocado, a veggie-infused ground turkey mixture and chives, these lettuce cups are fresh, flavorful and perfect for lunch of dinner!
- For the Turkey Lettuce Cups:
- 1 lb. Ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 ea. Head of butterhead lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, diced
- 1-1/2 c. Portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1-1/2 c. Brown rice, cooked
- 1 ea. Red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 c. Onion, diced
- 1/2 c. Carrots, grated
- 2 T. Avocado oil
- 4 ea. Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 T. Dried orange peel
- 1/2 t. Smoked paprika
- To taste, Salt and pepper
- To garnish, Chives
- For the Thai Peanut Sauce:
- 1/3 c. Coconut aminos
- 1/3 c. Vegetable broth
- 1/4 c. Peanut butter
- 1 T. Rice vinegar
- 1/2 T. Ginger paste
- 1 t. Sesame oil
- Dash Chili powder
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm avocado oil and add red pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, while stirring.
- Turn the large skillet down to medium heat, and add ground turkey. Cook the turkey until brown, approximately 10-15 minutes, while stirring. Once thoroughly cooked, add carrots, orange peel, paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a blender, add coconut aminos, vegetable broth, peanut butter, rice vinegar, ginger paste, sesame oil and chili powder. Blend until smooth to make the Thai peanut sauce.
- Add the Thai peanut sauce to the turkey mixture and cook on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Distribute lettuce leaves evenly on large plates, and evenly distribute brown rice, turkey mixture, avocado and garnish with chives.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!