Have leftover turkey and avocado? Create a tasty pickled ancho relish with onion, garlic, dried ancho chiles and a kick of sweet with brown sugar and top your turkey and avocado for a delicious sandwich! Incorporating fresh Hass avocados in your family's everyday recipes helps to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. They're delicious, heart-healthy, and a source of naturally good fats.
- 4 ea. bolillo rolls, sliced lengthwise & toasted
- 2 c. turkey meat, shredded
- 1 ea. Avocado From Mexico, pitted, peeled & sliced
- Pickled Ancho Relish:
- 3 oz. dried ancho chiles, stemmed & seeded
- 1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
- 2 ea. garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 t. salt
- 1-1/2 t. light brown sugar
- Pickled Ancho Relish: Rinse chiles in cold water. Using kitchen scissors, cut peppers crosswise into thin strip. In a medium bowl, add peppers, onions, garlic, rice vinegar, white vinegar, oil, salt, and sugar; mix well. Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- To assemble sandwich, layer turkey, pickled ancho relish, and avocados on the bottom half of each roll.; cover with top half of roll.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!