Recipe by Pati Jinich
- 4 T. olive oil
- 5 T. soy sauce
- 4 T. Dijon mustard
- 6 each cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. flank steak
- 6 each teleras, bolillos, or baguettes, sliced into 5” pieces and halved
- 6 each thick slices Swiss or muenster cheese
- 2 each Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 each dill pickles, diagonally sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon, garlic, and black pepper.
- Place the steak in a large baking dish and pour marinade on top, making sure it is all covered. Marinate it anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours in advance in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the broiler. Once it is hot, place the baking dish with the meat under the broiler and cook anywhere from 5 to 7 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Remove the meat from the broiler and place it on a cutting board. Let it rest for 5 minutes, slightly covered. Thinly slice across the grain.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place bread cut-side up onto a baking sheet. Place a slice of cheese on the bread half that will be the bottom of the sandwich and bake until the bread crisps and the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- On top of the cheese, place 3 to 4 slices of meat, a layer of avocado slices, and pickle slices to taste, and add the top half of the bread.