- 4 ea. thick slices country white bread
- 4 ea. ham, thinly sliced
- 2 ea. slices of gruyere cheese
- 1 ea. Avocados From Mexico, mashed into a purée
- 2/3 c. milk
- 5 T. butter
- 1 T. flour
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Put cast iron griddle in the oven to heat simultaneously.
- Prepare a bechamel sauce. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Once melted, add the flour and whisk for approximately 1 minute until mixed well. Then slowly add milk, still whisking, until the mix is smooth. Boil the bechamel, letting it cook until thick. Remove from the heat and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread bechamel sauce on 2 slices of bread. Spread puréed avocado on the other 2 slices of bread.
- Layer the ham and cheese on top of the slices with the bechamel; then put the bread slices with avocado on top.
- Melt the rest of the butter on the stove or in the microwave, and use a brush to make sure the top of each bread slice is well buttered.
- Place the sandwiches on the hot griddle in the oven and allow them to cook until golden and crispy, with the cheese leaking out of the sides. Remove from heat and serve.