Recipe by Pati Jinich
Add a tasty twist to your tostada by topping it with avocado, chicken and sweet plantains! A hint of cumin, cinnamon and all spice will have your mouth watering wanting more! Incorporating fresh Hass avocados in your family's everyday recipes helps to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. They're delicious, heart-healthy, and a source of naturally good fats.
- 6 ea. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast filets
- 2 t. white distilled vinegar
- 2 T. vegetable oil, plus 3 T. for frying chicken, and more for plantains
- 1/4 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t. ground allspice
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 4 ea. cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 ea. very ripe plantains, peeled and diagonally sliced
- 1 -1/2 c. prepared refried beans, warmed
- 6 ea. bolillos, teleras, or baguettes cut into 5" pieces and halved
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, peeled & pitted, and sliced
- Place the chicken in a container or dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, 2 T. vegetable oil, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, black pepper and salt. Add smashed garlic cloves to the mixture and whisk with a fork or whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture all over the chicken making sure it gets entirely covered. Marinate up to 24 hours if prepping in advance.
- Heat additional 3 T. oil in a large casserole or frying pan set over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook the chicken for about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove and place in a plate or bowl.
- Fill a large casserole or frying pan with oil about ½-inch up the sides and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Once it is hot, test with a plantain slice to see if there are active bubbles around it, without foaming over.
- Fry the plantain slices, without crowding the pan, you may need to do it in batches, for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, until they are golden brown, a bit caramelized and crisp. Remove and place on a paper towel covered plate.
- To assemble the tortas: If the bread is fresh, just slice it in half, no need to toast. If it isn’t fresh, toast it for a few minutes. Spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons refried beans on the bottom half of the bread, and top with 4 to 5 cooked plantain slices, a chicken thigh, 3 to 4 slices of avocado, and the other piece of bread. Cut it in half and eat at home or pack it for a picnic to go.