- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 chile de arbol (optional)
- 1 Avocado From Mexico halved, pitted, meat scooped out, and each halve cut into thirds, then each third sliced horizontally into 5 or 6 pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces baby mozzarella balls (bocconcini size) sliced into 3 pieces
- 16 ( 6-inches long) bamboo skewers
- To Make the Vinaigrette: In a small glass jar, or mason jar, pour the vinegar and the oils, sprinkle in the salt.
- If using the chile de arbol, place a small skillet over medium-heat, once it is hot, toast the chile for 30 seconds per side, until toasted, but not burnt.
- Place the whole chile in the jar.
- Close the lid of the jar and shake it vigorously.
- Leave in the refrigerator, if it won't be used within the hour. It may be kept there for a couple weeks.
- Shake well before using.
- To Assemble the Skewers: With the help of your kids, insert the top of a mozzarella ball, followed by a slice of avocado, half of a tomato, an avocado slice, the other tomato half (upside down if they can!), followed by another slice of avocado, and a slice of mozzarella ball.
- Repeat with all skewers, and place all the completed skewers on a platter.
- To Serve: Shake the vinaigrette and pour into a bowl. Serve along with the assembled skewers for everyone to dip as they please.
Mozzarella & Tomato