Make the perfect snack for anytime with the perfect combination of avocado, tomatoes and cheese. Great for holiday entertaining, pool parties or as a portable and delicious tailgating treat.
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 t. kosher or sea salt
- 1 ea. chile de árbol (optional)
- 1 ea. Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, meat scooped out, each half cut into thirds, each third sliced horizontally into 5 or 6 slices
- 8 oz. baby mozzarella balls (bocconcini size), sliced into 3
- 16 ea. 6" bamboo skewers
- To make the vinaigrette: In a small glass jar, or Mason jar, pour the vinegar and the oils, sprinkle in the salt. If using the chile de árbol, place a small skillet over medium heat, once it is hot, toast the chile for 30 seconds per side, until toasted but not burnt. Place the whole chile in the jar. Close the lid of the jar and shake it vigorously. Leave in the refrigerator, if it won’t be used within the hour. It may be kept there for a couple weeks. Shake well before using.
- To assemble the skewers: With the help of your kids, insert the top of a mozzarella ball, followed by a slice of avocado, half of a tomato, an avocado slice, the other tomato half (upside down if they can!), followed by another slice of avocado, and a slice of mozzarella ball. Repeat with all skewers and place all the completed skewers on a platter.
- To serve: Shake the vinaigrette and pour into a bowl. Serve along with the assembled skewers for everyone to dip as they please.