Did you know that avocados are a great baking ingredient? Use in place of butter or oil in recipes and enjoy some of the nutrition benefits of avocados. These lime cookies are made with a simple batter of flour, confectioner's sugar and lime zest and dipped in chocolate.
- 1/4 c. + 1 T. coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 c. Avocados From Mexico, diced
- 3/4 c. Confectioners' sugar
- 1 ea. egg
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 ea. lime, zested
- 2 T. fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped or broken into pieces
- 1 T. coconut oil
- Place 1/4 cup of the coconut oil and avocado in the mixing bowl of a stand-up mixer. Using the paddle attachment beat the coconut oil and avocado at medium speed until completely smooth.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until fluffy and combined. Add the egg, vanilla extract, lime zest and lime juice and continue beating until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt. Reduce speed to low and spoon the dry ingredients into the dough just until everything is well mixed.
- Flour your counter top as well as your hands. Gather the dough and shape it into a rope/log of about 1 to 1–1/2-inch width. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate anywhere from 1 to 24 hours.
- Set the racks on the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap and using a very sharp knife slice it into 1/4-inch slices. You may want to wet the blade of the knife after 4 or 5 slices to make it easier to slice through the dough.
- Place slices on the cookie sheets, about an inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let slightly cool. Transfer cookies to cooling rack to finish cooling while you prepare the chocolate glaze. Swap the used parchment paper for new pieces and cover the cookie sheets.
- Using a double boiler or a heat proof bowl over a sauce pan with simmering water over low heat, melt the chocolate along with the remaining coconut oil, stirring with a spatula occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- While the chocolate is still hot and melted, one by one hold each cookie vertically and dip it halfway through into the chocolate glaze. Place the cookies on the cookie sheets covered with the parchment paper. Let the chocolate set, for about an hour, and serve.