- 20 ea. large crimini mushrooms, washed, stems removed, and set aside (about 1 lb.)
- 1 ea. small shallot, chopped (about 1 T.)
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea. 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 1 ea. medium Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- 2 t. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T. sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
- 2 T. cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Gently remove stems from mushrooms and set aside. Place mushrooms cap-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While mushrooms are baking, chop mushroom stems and combine with shallots and garlic and sauté in olive oil on stovetop. Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven to cool for 10 minutes.
- To Make Filling: Mash ripe avocado in a bowl. Combine with lemon juice and cooled spinach mixture; blend well. Season to taste. Carefully fill each mushroom cap with mixture. Garnish with 1 sliced almond or single cilantro leaf.
DISCLAIMER: While many factors affect heart disease, eating avocados as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk.
DISCLAIMER FOR LOGO USE/ AHA Disclaimer: Avocados From Mexico are certified by the American Heart Association®. Certification does not apply to serving suggestions or recipes.