- 4 c. vegetable oil for frying
- 27 ea. wonton wrappers
- 4 ea. mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1/2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, sliced
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 T. corn starch
- Dried oregano to taste
- Slice Mozzarella cheese sticks into 54 matchstick-thin slices; each wonton will contain 2 slices.
- Slice avocado into 27 matchstick-thin slices; each wonton will contain 1 slice.
- In a deep skillet, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat until it bubbles.
- Lay one wonton paper on working surface. Approximately 1/2 inch from the bottom of the paper, lay a mozzarella stick, one avocado stick, sprinkle moderately with oregano and top one more mozzarella stick.
- Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Using the tip of your index finger, dip it in the cornstarch water and run your finger around edges of wonton paper.
- Working from the bottom of your wonton, roll wrapper around the cheese and avocado sticks until completely wrapped. Press each side of your flauta closed, ensuring all seams are closed shut.
- Using tongs, gently place each flauta in hot oil. Keep adding flautas, but be careful not to overcrowd them. Start with frying 4 at a time for approximately 4 minutes. Keep your eyes on the flautas — they go from a lovely golden brown to overdone quickly!
- Make sure to turn them over if they're pale on one side. Once golden all over, place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then plate 3 flautas per person and serve.