- 3 T. vegetable oil
- 1 c. white onion, chopped
- 2 ea. cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 ea. 14.5-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 T. adobo sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1-1/2 t. kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. dried marjoram
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 c. chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 8 ea. tostadas (crisp corn tortillas), to serve
- 1 c. shredded lettuce
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, less than a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, adobo sauce, salt, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and darkens, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Incorporate the shredded chicken broth and the chicken broth into the sauce and toss until well mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has absorbed almost all of the sauce and is moist but not runny, about 8 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Place the tostadas on a platter. Top with a generous amount of chicken tinga, a couple tablespoons shredded lettuce, and 1/4 of a ripe avocado. Finish by sprinkling a bit of salt on top (optional) and serve.
Flavor, flavor, flavor! Adobo sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo gives this chicken tinga and avocado tostadas recipe a delicious smoky flavor that combines wonderfully with the other ingredients and spices. When topped with creamy Avocados From Mexico, this recipe is hard to beat!
What is a tostada?
A tostada is a classic Mexican dish that is usually a flat-shaped tortilla that is deep-fried or toasted, then topped with various ingredients such as refried beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa, and more.
What is tinga?
Tinga is a Mexican dish that is typically made with shredded chicken. The chicken is made in a stew of tomatoes, onion, and adobo sauce. Tinga is typically served on top of a tostada, but some put it in tacos or burritos as well.
What is chicken tinga?
Tinga and chicken tinga are the same dishes. It’s shredded chicken and typically cooked with tomatoes, onion, and smoky adobo sauce.
What is in a tostada?
Tostadas are usually made with a fried yellow corn tortilla, but you can also find tostadas made from flour, wheat, and white corn. Tostadas can be topped with anything, but the most common toppings are refried beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and salsa. Why not top yours with a smoked guacamole recipe?