You may have grilled other vegetables and fruits on the grill, so now it is time to grill some avocados! Lightly rub avocados with olive oil before placing down on the grill for a few minutes. The result is a smoky, creamy and irresistible avocado. Serve at barbecues or use as a topping on burgers or franks.
- 5 ea. fresh Serrano chiles, divided, 4 whole (optional) and 1 minced
- 4 ea. dried guero chiles (can substitute chile de árbol or guajillo)
- 4 ea. fresh jalapeños
- 7 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 6 oz. Panela or Halloumi cheese, cut into 4 thick slices
- 2 ea. garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 6 ea. cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On small baking sheet, toss the 4 whole Serrano peppers (optional), the whole guero chile, and jalapeños with 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat them. Season them generously with salt and pepper. Roast until chiles are softened and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool chiles on baking sheet.
- Cut a 1/8” slice off the bottom of each avocado half, just enough to stabilize it.
- Place the avocados, roasted chiles, and cheese slices in a glass baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer. In a small bowl, whisk together the minced Serrano chile, garlic, cilantro, and vinegar. Whisk in the remaining 6 tablespoons oil. Pour the mixture over the chiles and cheese and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare a gas grill to cook at medium-high heat or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, remove the avocados and cheese from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Grill the avocado halves, cut side down, until they have dark grill marks, 4 to minutes. Transfer each avocado half to an individual plate, placing it grilled side up. Grill the marinated cheese slices until they are seared but still hold their shape. Add 1 cheese slice to each plate, alongside the avocado half. Then add 1 of each roasted chiles to each plate. Toss the cherry tomatoes in remaining dressing and top avocados with them, dividing the tomatoes equally. Serve immediately.
- For a bite-sized appetizer, serve on top of a crostini, corn cake, or cracker.