Queso fresco adds cheesy goodness to these arepas! Topped with an avocado fresco salad, apples, red grapes and toasted walnuts make this meal delicious in every way! Try pairing with a fresh arugula salad!
- 2 c. masarepa (pre-cooked white cornmeal)
- 1-1/4 c. water
- 2/3 c. shredded queso fresco
- 1-1/2 t. kosher salt
- 2 T. butter
- Avocado Fresco Chicken Salad:
- 1-1/2 ea. Avocados From Mexico
- 1/3 c. mayonnaise
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 3 c. cooked chicken breast, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 c. finely chopped celery
- 1/2 c. finely chopped green apple, peeled
- 1/2 c. chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1/2 c. red grapes, quartered
- 1/2 c. crumbed queso fresco
- Prepare the arepas: Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, combine masarepa, water, shredded queso fresco, and salt. Knead with hands until a smooth dough comes together. If too sticky, add water by the tablespoonful until moist and uniform. Break into 6 pieces and roll into balls. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet or cutting board, cover with another sheet of parchment, and press a skillet or other heavy cutting board on top, flattening balls into 1/2”-thick discs.
- Cook arepas: Melt butter in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook arepas for about 5 minutes on the first side, until golden brown, working in batches if needed. Flip and cook on other side for another 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 10 to 12 more minutes until cooked through. Set aside and let cool.
- Prepare chicken salad: In a blender or food processor, combine avocado, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and cider vinegar until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and mix in tarragon, parsley, and salt until well combined. Add chicken, celery, apple, walnuts, grapes, and queso fresco and toss until all ingredients are incorporated.