Surimi crab meat, avocado, jicama, celery, cucumber and sesame are the flavors that will delight your tastebuds in this flavorful dish seasoned with a soy sauce and mayonnaise dressing served over a bed of leafy greens. It's spicy, sweet and crunchy with a subtle hint of umami. Serve as an appetizer if you want to impress your family or guests.
- 1/3 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 T. adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 ea. chipotle in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 c. mayonnaise
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1/2 t. kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ea. head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, and cut horizontally into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced celery
- 1 ea. small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 ea. cucumber, peeled, halved, seeds removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 c. thinly sliced scallions light green and white parts only
- 2 ea. 8-oz packages surimi chunks, shredded
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, sauce from chipotles in adobo, chopped chipotle chiles, soy sauce, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- In a large salad or serving bowl, combine the lettuce, celery, cucumber, jícama and avocado.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast for a couple minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, pour the oil and set over medium heat once more. Once hot, but not smoking, cook the scallions, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the shredded surimi. Continue to cook until completely heated through and barely beginning to brown, about 4 minutes more. Turn off the heat.
- Mix the prepared dressing and pour it onto vegetables already waiting in the salad bowl. Toss well. Scrape the hot surimi mixture on top of the salad, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve.