Recipe by Pati Jinich
- 2 lbs. country style boneless short ribs
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 4 T. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 c. white onion, finely chopped
- 4 ea. garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 c. pomegranate juice
- 1-1/2 c. red wine
- 1 t. dried rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 T. ginger, minced
- 1 T. shallot, minced
- 1 T. lime juice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, & peeled
- 1/2 c. pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 T. mint, roughly chopped
- Short Ribs: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven or oven-safe dish over medium heat. Sear the meat for 7 to 8 minutes on each side until browned.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same cooking dish and add onions. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour in pomegranate juice and wine, scraping the bottom to incorporate the browned bits.
- Return meat to the Dutch oven and add rosemary; let it come to a simmer. Once simmering, cover and place in oven for 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender. Remove lid and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Shred the meat and let sit in sauce.
- In a large bowl, mash the avocados to desired consistency.
- Fold in shallots, ginger, jalapeño, lime juice, olive oil, and half of the pomegranate seeds and feta cheese.
- Spread guacamole on a serving platter and top with shredded ribs. Garnish with mint, and remaining pomegranate seeds and feta cheese.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!