Recipe by Pati Jinich
This recipe puts a fun flare on the trendy avocado toast. It has a delicious crunch factor using walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to top the toast. This one is easy and delicious. Incorporating fresh Hass avocados in your family's everyday recipes helps to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. They're delicious, heart-healthy, and a source of naturally good fats.
- 2-4 ea. slices bread
- 1 ea. Avocado From Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 t. safflower or canola oil
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced shallots
- 1 ea. jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. hulled, raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
- 1 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 T. chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and jalapeño and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until completely wilted. Add salt and mix well.
- Make room in the center of the skillet and add the walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds let them cook for 30 seconds without stirring, then stir into the shallots and jalapeño mix and cook for another 2 minutes. The walnuts and seeds should be lightly toasted. Turn off the heat. Drizzle the freshly squeezed lime juice and mix. Scrape onto a bowl. Taste for salt and add more if need be.
- Add 3 to 4 slices of avocado to each piece of toast, mash gently with a fork if desired. Top with the crunchy mix.