- 4 ea. whole wheat pitas, 6" in round
- 4 ea. Avocados From Mexico
- 3 ea. cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. red pepper, diced
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 c. cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/3 c. Kalamata olives, chopped
- 4 T. olive oil
- 4 T. lemon juice
- 4 T. red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 t. salt
- In a small bowl, mix the onions with vinegar. Set aside and let marinate.
- Prepare guacamole. In a large bowl, mash the avocados and mix with cucumber, red pepper, olives, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Strain the onions and to the guacamole. Mix well and cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Prepare pita. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Brush each side of the pita with the remaining olive oil. Heat each on the skillet at medium heat for 1-2 minutes per side, or until the pita is crisp. Remove from heat, let pitas cool then cut it into slices.
- To serve, sprinkle feta cheese on top of guacamole and serve with pita slices.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!