These Italian-stuffed pitas are loaded with Mediterranean goodness – olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Fresh basil leaves awaken this sandwich and blend well with creamy avocado. Omit the cheese to make this a vegan option.
- 2 ea. pita bread pockets
- 2 T. basil pesto
- 4 ea. 1-oz. slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 ea. marinated artichoke hearts (from a jar or can)
- 1 ea. large Avocado From Mexico, sliced
- 1 ea. medium tomato, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 ea. jar marinated roasted red pepper strips, drained
- 1/4 c. basil, chopped
- 4 ea. green olives
- 4 ea. toothpicks
- Slice open pita into halves. Spread pesto on one half of each pita pocket.
- Fill each pita pocket with cheese, artichoke hearts, avocado slices, tomato slices, roasted red peppers, and basil. Place an olive on each toothpick and stick in each pita pocket (half) to hold fillings together. Serve and enjoy!