Take your risotto to the next level by adding avocado, parmesan cheese and shrimp! Flavored with garlic, red pepper flakes and yellow onion, you will love this twist on a traditional Italian dish!
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1-1/3 c. yellow onion, small dice
- 3 T. garlic, minced
- 1 c. arborio rice
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted, & peeled
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 c. parsley, finely chopped
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Pour chicken broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Adjust heat as needed to maintain simmer.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and 2 tablespoons garlic; sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are tender. Add rice and stir; cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of hot chicken broth and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Continue adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time until all broth is used and is cooked and has a creamy consistency.
- In a small bowl, mash one avocado until smooth. Fold in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Dice the other avocado and set aside.
- When rice is fully cooked, fold in mashed avocado mixture, parmesan cheese, and parsley until well combined. Cover and set aside.
- In another large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp is fully cooked.
- Fold in the shrimp and diced avocados into the risotto. Garnish with red pepper flakes.